Urban infrastructure is the mainstay of urban buildings and equipment, urban buildings and equipment are elements of urban and urban processes that facilitate the lives of citizens, which are also the physical crystallization of institutions and public institutions in cities and village. The infrastructure of general cities, both big and micro, is of great importance, which forms the foundation of urban planning. Cities, once developed and extent in the right way, the infrastructure is standardized and identical. Most of the cities that have developed and extended in the world have a standardized foundation and all of their infrastructure is ultimately designed. The MUDH, as the leading urban sector organization in the country, is struggling to meet the challenges of the urban infrastructure sector and has taken positive steps to this end.
Scheme and designing technical infrastructure:
Last year, the Ministry of Urban and Housing has managed 141 projects in the section of road construction, water supply, sewage treatment, design and development of Housing towns, and providing the urban services to residents of newly built towns and buildings which previously submitted to the rehabilitation should be executed. The MUDH has drafted its plans and proposals to improve the condition of transport in the cities, scheme and design maps of various city’s Terminals in Kabul and provinces are codified and presented to the presidency, members of the Cabinet and other well-known authorities. The following is a list of activities that the Ministry has carried out in the infrastructure section in a number of cases.
Design and development of urban transport improvement and proposed scheme:
Presently, Afghanistan's major cities suffer from miss-facilitated traffic situation, which has created major challenges for the citizens of the country. These abnormalities in the transport sector in Kabul are more than other cities in the country. The Ministry of Urban Planning and Housing is conducting studies in this regard and has the following plans to improve the current state of transport:
- Proposed Bus station for Zanda Banan in two phases.
- Proposing design of Terminal in the East of Pol-E-Charkhy, Kabul in two phases.
- Urban traffic back and forth plan for Zanda Banan station.
- Estimated prediction cost of Zanda Banan station and Terminal in the East of Pol-E- Charkhy, Kabul.
- Initial design of the Terminal for cargo and passenger at the western gate of Kabul in two phases.
- Designed and proposal of presentation to the Council of Ministers for improvement of urban transportation.
Design and roads construction:
In all cities, roads and avenues are considered to be the underlying infrastructure, and cities that have standardized and identical roads, it will progress and develop well, In this regard, the Ministry of Urban Planning and Housing has done remarkable work, including the construction of Ring roads of central cities and provinces, as well as in the design of roads and residents town are under the Ministry's process.
Design and scheme of water supply and sewage systems:
The priority of the cities is the provision of mineral water and developing urban sewage systems, and the Ministry of Urban Development and Housing has also done valuable work in Kabul and other cities in the country, including previously built residential towns or Housing, It has been built in the center and in the provinces, it has prepared procedures and guidelines for the water supply and sanitation department to determine and control the price of water for private water supply companies. It has also planned and designed the Kabul City Zoning for the purpose of determining wastewater treatment and human sludge treatment, a new plan for a appropriate management is the maintenance of sustainable buildings which is one of the main tasks of this sector.
Training and capacity building:
Training and capacity building is one of the core priorities of the Ministry of Urban Development and Housing, which seeks to learn new knowledge and skills at the national and international levels, last year, the following programs have been launched to increase the capabilities of staff and engineers and rise the capacity of individuals in this ministry:
- Formation of teams work, mainly in the unit of project’s design.
- Launching training programs for the Ministries’ staff capacity building.
- Propagation of group work at different levels in the design of technical infrastructure.
- Contribution in a Sustainable Transportation Planning Seminar in Japan.
- Participate in the ONE BELT ONE ROAD training seminar in the People's Republic of China.
Reforms and combating against the corruption of the MUDH in the executive affairs:
- Finalizing the urban planning regulation.
- Finalizing the 5-year Strategic Plan of the Ministry.
- Signing Memorandum with the Civil Service Commission for the reform of trilateral Enterprises to provide better services.
- Renamed the Department of Urbanism to the Ministry of Urban Development and Housing, in order to pay particular attention to Housing, in particular the affordable Housing.
- For the first time, Signing Memorandum with the House of Industries and Mines of Afghanistan to use the internal construction products in construction projects.
Major problems and challenges in the urban infrastructure sector:
- Deficiency of technical and administrative capacity, especially in the urban sector, for the Ministry's major needs.
- Lack of consideration to the donors and the international community that cover the costs of urban development.
- Lack of timely approval for the allocation of Ministry's budget from the Ministry of Finance.
- Shortage of vehicles and equipment to meet the needs of the Ministry in the urban development.